Sunday, January 24, 2010

Deputy Unck

On January 14th, Jesse was sworn as a Deputy Sheriff for Clackamas County.
Here are some photos from that day -

Here is Jesse with Jason, his close friend and fellow Marine.

And Danae, one of our favorite people ever!


Sheriff Craig Roberts read the oath.

It was very nerve-wracking to pin him, but I was so proud and honored to do it.

This is when Sheriff Roberts told everyone that Jesse comes to work every day with a big smile.

I can't tell you how much Jesse loves his job - the people, the atmosphere, even the discipline and learning that come along with it all - he is just so happy to be a part of it.

Like I mentioned before, the 4 month academy doesn't start until early spring. So in the meantime, Jesse, along with the other new Deputies, have been going through an in-house training. Most of the things he has been learning will be taught to him again in the academy, but by providing some basic training now, these new Deputies can begin patrolling much sooner than if they had to wait until after they completed the academy.

It's been absolutely wonderful...for the first time in forever, Jesse has been working regular day-time hours and has every weekend off! Not only that, but he has been able to really get the know the other new Deputies and has already made some great friends.

Today, January 24th, Jesse began Phase Two (uh, I think that's what its called - I have a hard time keeping up with all the phases and terminology). So at this point, Jesse has had the essential training needed to be out on the road...with a Training Officer anyway. This means that he will actually be patrolling in uniform!! He is very excited, but also extremely nervous...every day he will be graded by his Training Officer. Jesse will be expected to demonstrate certain concepts and show improvement. This phase will continue for about a month...assuming he meets all the criteria (which I'm sure he will!).

Shortly after Phase Two, Jesse will leave for the academy and I will be sad :-(

We're hoping that he will be able to come home most every weekend, but we both understand that this training is crucial to his career, and it's very important that he gives it his full attention. Neither of us really knows what to expect, so I suppose we'll just cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thank you friends and family for all of your support! Jesse, especially, has been so touched by all of your encouragement and well wishes.

I will be sure to keep you posted on any new developments.

2 comments:

  1. He isn't excited at all!! The smile says it all!! Congrats Jesse! We are proud of you! Hang in there Nicole! Call me if you are bored at night, Chris is gone all the time! We can have girls night on the phone!! We are proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jess.. It was so good talking to you on the phone the other day. I hope the couch went wellÜ Nicole love the cat films. We need some more funniesÜ Well I hope you two are doing great. Love ya.. Hope to see you sometime soon..

    ReplyDelete